Monday, August 17, 2009

Dog Days of Summer


While watching Bubba taunt the neighbor's dogs this morning, I thought, "He is so funny." I'm not one of those people who replace children with dogs. Despite what Kevin says, Bubba does not wear a sweater. I may spoil him a little bit but that is because he is so sweet. He knows how to work me. He's got these amazingly sad eyes when he wants something from me, and when he needs your attention he puts his paw on your arm or leg, Like he saying, "Excuse me, Amber." I have this thing about putting on shoes. It's always done sitting on the floor (except sandals they just slip right on)and it never fails that the dog thinks, "hey she wants to play with me!" At which point there is much butt waging, he has a stump tail so his butt wags with his tail, and chewing on my hands and arms while I try to knock him away. He some times burrows his cold wet nose under my leg and it tickles.

Yesterday was our big day-o-fun. Kevin and I woke late, had breakfast and then took Bubba up to Zimmerman trail for some hiking. Before leaving we had to give Bubba his lesson on jumping into the bed of the truck. He doesn't do it automatically yet. He puts his paws up on the tailgate and looks at you like, "Help me up, I'm stranded here." His jumping tutorial goes like this: Kevin gets into the back of the truck and sits down, I take the dog about 10-15 yards away and run towards the tailgate so that the dog runs with me. Because I'm no longer the proud athlete of Ponder high school, I can't jump into the back of the truck. So when I stop the dog stops, and places his paws on the tailgate. Back again we go, "you jump then maybe he will jump." says Kevin. "Yeah right, I'd need a spring board and an Olympic medal to get any air." I reply.

After four attempts, the dog leaps into the back of the truck and in between pants the chubby dog trainer, me, helps congratulate him, "Good Boy, you did so good." There's a small voice chanting, "Dog sweater, dog sweater." In the back of my mind, but I'm not a crazy dog lady I swear. Bubba isn't even my dog really. He is Kevin's. I haven't had a pet since my black cat Fatty got eaten by Coyotes at my sister's house.

Back to Bubba, after the hike there is a reminder training session which doesn't go so well, and I think people might have seen our shenanigans. What a scene


Once we are back at the house,I decide to take the boat out for it's maiden voyage. The Skipper and Gilligan go too.


After our aquatic adventure, it's time for Bubba to push Kevin in the hammock. Notice the hammock height. I would like everyone to think it was intentional.
Yesterday was a great day for me, Kevin, and especially for Bubba, or at least I like to think he enjoyed it as much as we did.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...