Friday, August 14, 2009

Hey Rocky....

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my toaster. At least that is what I was thinking yesterday as I tried to make toast with the brand new toaster. I plugged it in put the dial to 5 and turned around a few minutes later and the bread was up untoasted not even warm. Funny, the little window where the number is located is no longer illuminated. So I move the toaster to another plug and the red numeral 5 flickers on and off in the window like Satan winking at me. I finally get it to stay on faulting the wall outlet, and I push the lever to make the toast go down and there is a loud POP and a small puff of white smoke, but the only thing I pulled out of it was the bread still untoasted. I smelled it, thinking: Gee I hope It's not polluted, and it seemed fine. I went on with my culinary magic turning the untoasted bread into a cold cut masterpiece showcasing turkey, white sharp cheddar, pickles, pickled jalapeno, mayonnaise (can't say that word without saying it like the drill Sargent in "Officer and a Gentlemen" Mayo-nnaise)tomatoes and avocado. Rocky has to have a Bullwinkle just like sandwiches have to have soup. So the accompaniment to Kevin's lunch was a pasta soup I made by using the previous nights chicken tortellini, tomato, artichoke supper and combining it with onions, garlic, herbs, chicken stock and stewed tomatoes and a dash of red pepper flakes. It was good. I took my handiwork down to Montana Peterbilt, but didn't tell the boss his sammie may have toaster fallout on it. He survived.

On the way home I stopped by Albertson's, I go there everyday, for the accoutrement to the evenings dinner. Once I was settled back in the pink tile kitchen, I marinated chicken in a citrus jalapeno mix that I whipped up in the handifoodprocessor (cup fresh squeezed orange, 2 jalapenos, 1 serano, 1/2 bunch cilantro, salt, course ground pepper,and garlic) I let it sit in the fridge for 4 hours or so then baked it at 350 for roughly an hour. After the chicken came out of the oven, I let it rest while I made the avocado lime salad. I chopped romaine, diced tomatoes and avocados and warmed up a can of black beans. For the dressing, I squeezed two limes, texted my friends Rachel and Aaron because this dressing reminds me of them, added 1/3 cup olive oil, sugar,salt and pepper and I whisked to combine. All the ingredients, including chicken went into the salad bowl and were topped with the dressing. Que Bueno!

Tonight we are having the same marinated chicken taco style with carrot-jalapeno salad. It's culinary magic folks, turning last night's good eats into a new tantalizing taste for tonight.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...