Monday, August 24, 2009

And They're Always Glad you Came



Built in 1974 in Lolo Montana by the Babcocks, The Lumberjack Saloon is my new favorite place.

Ely and several other Missoulans mentioned this rustic loggers bar to us, and Kevin and I had to see what it was all about. A short drive west on highway 12, past the Lolo peak, brings you to the dirt road, Graves Creek, and The Lumberjack is located about 3 miles north.
The view is spectacular, and not only do they have food and drink, but 4 small cabins to rent, and live music on Friday and Saturday night, but that's not the best thing. I've been to mountain bars, ocean bars, city bars, cantinas and pubs, but never have I ever been to a bar with a tree swing for a barstool.
When we first walked in, it took a minute for our eyes to adjust to the darkly lit interior. The photos turned out kind of dark so you get a sense of what it was like to walk in from the glaring sunshine. Immediately I liked it. We took a seat at the end of the bar. I had already spied the swing seat, but there was a large burly biker sitting in it and his body guard, I mean girlfriend, was sitting next to him. "I'll be sitting in that seat before the nights over." I told Kevin, but not too loud I didn't want the biker to hear. He had already made it known that only steers and queers come from Texas, and I thought 6:30 was a little early for a bar fight.
Waiting some what patiently and avoiding eye contact while coveting the swing, Kevin and I made conversation with a few of the bar's patrons and the day shift bartender, Jared.
We walked outside to check out the patio and view, and when we returned the biker and his babe were gone. For the remainder of our time in The Lumberjack, I took up the seat with small breaks to let Kevin try, and we became aquainted with our new favorite bartender Justin. The evening was so much fun that we left with t-shirts. I wore mine the next night on our return visit with Ely.
When we walked in Saturday night we were greeted by Justin with a big, "Hey Kevin, Hey Amber, Glad you guys came back."  The warm reception brought a tear to my eye, or maybe it was the tequila, but Kevin and I were certain that we had definitely found our new favorite place, because sometimes you just wanna go where everybody knows your name.



No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...