Sunday, August 16, 2009

Market Days


Saturdays in Billings finds the streets downtown,near 29th and 2nd, closed to auto traffic but swarmed with pedestrians for the Yellowstone Valley Famers Market. Where you find farm fresh everything, and live music.



Kevin and I woke around 8 yesterday and went to the store to sell some trucks and then we hit the market. Our first stop was at one of the Hutterite stands to buy onions, peas and some pickeled things: pickels, beets, jalapenos and carrots. Everything is organic and grown within the Hutterite community



(I'm thinking they are similar to Amish but with electricity and mechanical technology) they even produce fowl on their farms; however, we bought our meet from another small organic Billings farm whose name I can't remember now. The steak, NY Strip, was juicy and tender. I also picked up some marrow bones to try an Anthony Bourdain recipe.

Next was a stop at Das Kuchenhaus, owned by Debra and Tim Zimbelman, they had gorgeous looking pastries and pies, but I chose only the bread. By this time, Kev and I a both a bit peckish so we stop at the tamale stand for green corn and buffalo tamales and nice lemonade.



Finally, we stopped and bought some fresh sweet corn for the evenings dinner.



We stopped by a little wine shop on the way home and picked up a Franciscan cabernet, 2005, Napa Valley. It was a good pairing with the steak and veggies. We prepared the corn and cebollitas (small onions) by soaking them in water and placing on the grill, using the husk as the insulator for the kernels. Kevin did the steak in a chimichurri marinade and grilled it along side the veggies. I prepared the peas with a few of the cebollitas by sauteeing them in butter and garlic. It was simple, fresh, organic and delicious.



Even Bubba liked it.

2 comments:

GunBarrelGirl said...

What Bourdain recipe will you try? Kitchen Confidential is one of my favorite books. I am very happy to have found your blog and will continue to read it. I am a foodie also- so I love hearing/seeing what you are cooking. My favorite go-to food website is seriouseats.com. If you haven't been there, check it out. Keep up the great blog!

Cheryl (Shaw) Flowers

Unknown said...

Hey, Cheryl

I love his show No Reservations. I've got a recipe for beef marrow bones of his that I want to try.

Thanks for the compliment of the blog.

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...