Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Live Well

There is an abundance of life here in San Miguel. It flows from behind the ornate wooden doors into the quaint cobble stone streets and shaded central parks. It’s lived in the open. Life vibrates through the sound of the church bells ringing in the new day and most nights burst forth in a spectacular array of colors as a celebration of having lived another day. Life walks the street in pairs, groups and families. Life sings, dances and smiles.

My teacher, Elvira, says that Mexicans don’t think about the future much. They have been taught to live each day well, and to be glad to be alive because no one knows what tomorrow may bring. Ironic, because I came here hoping to foresee my own future to try and plan a strategy for what may come.

I still have no clue what job I may hold; however, each morning I will think of the church bells, and remember to celebrate that which I hold dear - mi familia, mis amigas, mi novio - Mi Vida.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...