Friday, July 3, 2009

Fourth of July

San Miguel is a city of celebration. Everyday is an excuse for a festival. Because of the multitude of cultures that converge on this small city, both religious and secular holidays are celebrated. When a group of people live in San Miguel their fiestas are adopted. For example, the 4th of July, tomorrow there is to be a chili cookoff down town and I wouldn't be suprised if there were fireworks.
Fireworks seem to be a part of life here, as if they are saying: "Hooray, it's Friday," or "Thank Guad"* we lived another day." Maybe it's just an effect of the tequila, I don't know. On my first day here we passed a small family fiesta and they were letting off noise makers and what not and my driver turned to me and said, "Welcome to Mexico, Amber".

* There is a bumper sticker here that reads: In Guad we trust. Guad being the Virgin of Guadalupe.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...