Thursday, July 2, 2009

Waterfall

It's the rainy season here and that means most afternoons and some evenings it rains. Some times it pours, and then sometimes a quick shower. The last few days we have seen rain on the heavy side. I walked to dinner tonight around 7:30 as the dark ominous clouds were rolling in. Each of my footsteps echoed with booming thunder. Just as I was turning the corner from Jesus onto Cuadrante, it started to rain. Luckily, I had my paragua and the restaurante, La Grotta/The Grotto, was only steps away. You can go either up or down once you get into the restaurant but I like the downstairs because you are looking up at the people and cars on the street and it seems as if you are below the rain and the traffic.

Once I was seated and had placed my order, I became lost in the rain. The drops were fat and heavy drowning out the sounds around me. It was as if I were completely alone even though all of the other four downstairs tables were taken.

By the time I finished eating, the rain had slackened, and was barely noticeable. It was a fine night for walking even though the cobble stone streets become very slick and dangerous after the rain. I'm strolling along taking in the refreshing breath of the newly cleaned air. With the moon glistening off the puddles and drops of rainwater the park glitters like a field of diamonds. I am half way from my apartment and the restaurant. It's here that the water converges from the two parts of town to make its gurgling retreat into the runoff grate. The rain has driven everyone back in and the night is calm and quiet. The only sounds are the slip sliding of the water along the smooth stones, far away a dog barks and some where a car turns down a street. I'm lost in a gentle reverie. I feel like a movie star, but suddenly I'm awashed in reality. That car is on my street. That car is passing me. That car is driving through the slip sliding water sending a waterfall of recycled rain down upon me. If that isn't something from a movie, I'll be damned; however, my mood could not be washed away, because inside I was still afloat on waves of happiness, you see I was thinking about Kevin and our life together in Montana.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...