Tuesday, January 5, 2010

My Mom's Birthday Cake

In honor of my mom's birthday today, I made a pumpkin spice cake (Brenda Medina's Recipe) layered with Banana and topped with a caramel cream cheese frosting. I just finished icing it about 10 minutes ago while Kevin was watching tv in his favorite chair. I brought him a sampling into the living room only to find him sleeping in his chair. I startled him awake with the yummy goodness, and he liked it. I just check and his still awake. He doesn't like to admit that he falls asleep in his chair :)


I called to wish my mom happy birthday earlier this morning when the snow was just starting to fall. It has been falling all day and getting thicker and falling faster as the day progressed. I had to get out of the house to pick up the dry cleaning after 4 and it was a white out.

I made it back home safe and sound. I only had one little out of control moment but luckily I was going about 10 miles an hour and I steered into the skid without hitting the brakes. Good thing because it was two lane traffic with lots of cars coming the opposite direction. I probably tend to drive a bit overcautious here, but I know no matter what I do the people behind me will always think I can't drive. I need to get those Texas plates changed soon!

Once home from my winter storm outing, I started preparing the chicken cordon bleu we had for dinner tonight. I pounded the chicken thin layered ham and Swiss cheese and rolled the chicken up into a roulade. Which I then floured, dipped in egg wash and coated with bread crumbs. I placed the chicken on a greased baking sheet and baked in the over at 350 for about 25 minutes. It was delicious and I paired it with sweet peas, and red potatoes (which I boiled in chicken stock and garlic instead of water to add more flavor) tossed with butter and parsley.

The success of my dinner helped demolish the lingering guilt I've had about not being home every night to prepare dinner for Kevin.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...