Thursday, April 7, 2011

Down But Not Out

I have a terrible head cold complete with greenish grey gunk, and a stuffy nose that runs (how is that even possible?) a throat that feels ripped in two every time I cough, sneeze or hack (which is all I've been doing the passed 3 days), and through it all I've jeopardized hundreds of Montanans by not staying at home or wearing one of those hospital masks Michael Jackson made famous.

I woke up Monday with razor blades in my throat, and went down hill from there.  We had parent teacher conferences on Tuesday, but luckily I only had two couples to contaminate.  Yesterday, I helped spread my virus to hundreds of high school students by chaperoning our Quiz Bowl team.  I was sent home at noon by my fellow co-workers.  Did I follow their advice and go to the clinic? NOPE.

In my stubborn attempt to keep up with my fitness routine, I made Kevin take my grumpy wheezy ebola infected self out on a bike ride.  I would have used profanity the entire time had I been able to breathe, but instead I worked through it.  I think snails were going faster than me.  I am pretty sure I was passed up by an old man with a cane and a two legged dog (could have been a hallucination).  Did I mention I had to take an hour nap before we rode?  Then I rested for 45 minutes (maybe I was unconscious) before going to my first roller derby practice.

 I really had to suck it up there, not only did I have to skate for the first time since my 1996 debut as a roller derby dance queen for Vernon Regional Junior College, but I had to try and not fall down while actually attempting to fall down properly.  Oh and there were push-ups and crunches with deep knee bends, and  spandex. It was lovely.  I managed to keep the hacking and thick green fluids to minimum, and I think I did pretty good.  They invited me back for next weeks practice so it couldn't have been too bad.

If I made it through day 1 of derby feeling like a zombie think of how well I'll do when I am well.  I just hope I don't get Typhoid Mary as my nick name.  After all the shenanigans of the week, I did decide to do my rundown system a favor and stay home today.  I also needed to file my taxes, clean before company arrives and walk around with a tissue shoved up my nose and an ice pack on my derby bruises.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...