Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Great Expectations

One would expect a 32 year old woman to be able to park in a garage.  Well I can but it was filled with anxiety.  When you grew up in a trailer and have rented apartments your entire adult life, in Texas no less, there wasn't any garage in which to park.

Here in Billings the weather has turned cold and gray.  They high for today was 53 which we reached about 9 am and it's been falling since about 11.  It's 42 and raining.  That rain may turn to snow, so I decide the garage is the best place for my car. 

I pull into the drive line it up with the outside of the garage door and then get out of the car to stand infront of the garage and mentally measure the width of my car and compare it will the really small looking garage door.

I go inside because the pressure is just too much, it takes Jessica making fun of me to build up my confidence enough to give it a try.  I block out the metal scraping noises echoing in my head and slowly creep into the garage.

I did it!  I did it!  I didn't even hit Kevin's bike when I surrounded with the trash bags just to give myself a bumper. 

I know I should be ashamed of admitting that I was unsure of my parking abilities, I mean I've parrallel parked a bus before, but I'm proud.  It's never to late to stop learning even if common expectations dictate that one should be confident in their garage parking ability before the age of 32.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...