Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Hefrowok, Ipeewoods

Sunday, Kevin and I ventured over to Idaho into the Selway Bitterroot wilderness area of the Clearwater National Forrest for some hiking at Jerry Johnston hot springs. In our guide book we read that the clothing optional thermal pools were only 1.5 miles from the suspension bridge that crosses the Lochsa River.



I wore black underwear and a black sports bra just in case we decided to get in, my swimsuit was in Billings. The parking area was packed, as were the "pools". Most of the people we saw were younger and clothed, but we did see more than we wanted.



Why are nudes always ugly? As we are approaching the 3rd bathing area, thankfully I didn't have my glasses on, I see a lot of flesh. "Kevin is that old guy naked?" I inquire. "Uh, Yes," replies Kev. "Oh My God is he bending over." I ask trying to keep the giggles under control. It seems that when you bend over naked, one must hold that pose for an unnaturally long time.



After seeing that there just wasn't enough space in Idaho for me, Kevin and a nude guy, we decide that maybe will just keep hiking up through the day use area and see what else there is to see. We hike another half mile or so into the woods; where we spot two park rangers. They tell us about a really cool waterfall about two miles away. The waterfall lies outside the Jerry Johnston boundaries and is actually in the wilderness area.



Bubba chased squirrels. We took lots of pictures. Kevin must have had a power bar and energy drink combo for breakfast because he basically sprinted up the mountain; whereas, I took alot of breaks because I'm fat. We didn’t see any wildlife other than squirrels, but there was lots of wild animal poop.  Once we reached the top of the world we found the waterfall and had a nice little mountain top wilderness pick-nic consisting of, Apples, cheese, beef jerky and chocolate chip Cliff bars for dessert. It was nice to sit there on the edge in the middle of the wilderness where there was nothing but trees rocks and water. Relaxing.


Men, or the little boys in men, like sticks and rocks. Anytime we go hiking Kevin has a walking stick. He also digs rocks. If there is a cliff, or a body of water a rock needs to be tossed, kicked or thrown down/into, I gave Kevin his Indian-- er, um, Native American-- name: Hefrowok, but I guess that sounds a bit cavemanish. The hike back down was less demanding but not necessarily faster, because I had to pee several times. I think I marked more trees than did the dog; therefore, Kevin named me "Ipeewoods". However, that name didn't stick around long I later became known as "Falling Squaw".



Once we got back down to the hot springs area all the bathers, clothed and x-rated were gone. We had the place to ourselves but didn't have the energy to get in and enjoy the thermal waters. I was less than graceful as our adventure came to a close. My hiking boots were just to heavy and the rocks, roots and other obstacles were landmines. Within 500 feet of the park exit a sniper takes me down. I'm peering out over the river thinking that a naked Sacagawea probably bathed there with Lewis and Clark, when my right foot strikes a rock, trying to correct myself my left foot becomes entangled with my right. My arms are paralyzed and my face is rushing toward the hardpan. Luckily, my right foot had been a bit forward so I fell at an angle and my right shoulder cashed into earth before my face. Since my hands were to retarded to stop my fall, my shoulder did all the work. Kevin caught the airborne portion of my routine. He turned around just in time to see my feet above my head in the air and my body kissing the dirt. Being the nice man he is, he showed concern and made sure I was laughing before he started.



I was so exhausted from our adventure that my laughing almost turned to hysteria. I started to feel the tears coming on and didn't know if it was from laughing or falling, but I collected myself. With Hefrowok's help, Falling Squaw got back up. We stood there giggling for an eternity before we could get moving again. The 45 minute trip home was filled with talk of how great our hike was and we both relived my dramatic exit more than once producing giggle fits.



So far, the Jerry Johnston outing has been our favorite, but we plan to attack many more trails in our hiking guide. I'll let you know how they go. Hopefully, I won't fall off a mountain.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...