Sunday, June 28, 2009

Javier and Thelma

Javier and Thelma are in my conversation class. Luckily they let me be a third wheel. These guys remind me too much of my friends back home. We've had a grand time getting to know one another and swapping stories. This picture was taken Saturday at a street vendor in the Jardin. After celebrating Thelmas birthday at the local pool hall, Limerick, they stopped for some late dinner. I was told by, Javi and Thelma that the hamberguesas were muy bueno. I left them sitting on the escalitas of the jardin and jumped into my 20 peso taxi to catch up on my beauty sleep. The next day, Thelmas birthday, Javier proposed. I wasn't there for that one.

Javier introduced Thelma and I to the cucaracha. If any of you are brave enough I'll initiate you when I get back to Texas.

Teusday we are going to a free violin concert at St. Paul's Church. The violinist, Turkkan Osman Macias, will be playing his 250 year old violin in a concert he has dedicated to the people of San Miguel for their support. He will be attending the Manhattan School of Music in New York this coming fall. After the violin concert, on the escalitas, steps, of the Parroquia there will be the opening ceremonies and songfest for the International Children's Chorus.

There is music here every day and night of all kinds. I experienced my first Organ concert last week. I've seen Mariachis, a jazz band, a duo performing "Under the Board Walk" in Spanish and "Cocain" in English. I also spent some time in a Mexican Karaoke bar where the only song I recognized was "Summer Lovin'" from grease( I think I even have a video clip).

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...