Friday, February 15, 2013

French Onion Soup

I've always hated French Onion soup.  It is always over salted and makes me feel gross after eating, but I always think it should be good.  With such simple basic ingredients, how can so many people mess it up.

Years ago I stopped trying it, and I  have to admit I've never ordered it from a five star restaurant (who orders soup at a fabulous place???). 

Yesterday, I challenged myself to make it and Kevin was glad I did.  It turned out perfect.

Ingredients:
4 yellow onions
4 cloves of garlic minced
2 cans 14.5 oz Swanson chicken broth
1 26 oz can of Swanson beef broth
1 stick of Tillamook butter
A generous pour of Cabernet
A bit of gruyère cheese for topping

Process:
Melt butter and sautee onions (in a dutch oven or other pot that can go from stove top to oven) covered for 20 minutes.  Then place in a 400° oven for an hour stirring once about half way through to avoid sticking and burning.

Once out of the oven deglaze on medium heat using the red wine.  Scrape up all the tasty brown bits and reduce liquid to half.  Then add garlic and broths. Simmer for 40 minutes.  Place in bowls and add cheese.  You can place it under the broiler if you want to melt the cheese.

Some of you may be wondering where the crusty bread is.  I didn't use any but you can add it to the top of the soup before adding the cheese if you like.

I served the soup with Bell peppers stuffed with elk, onion and topped with swiss.

1 comment:

Aaron Forsyth said...

Looks great! Can't wait for you to make this for me.

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...