Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Greek Mythology

In my college literary classes, I learned that the Greek Gods were beautiful, strong, sometimes grumpy and often at war with one another; but they lived on Mt. Olympus and ate Ambrosia. We were led to believe that ambrosia was divinely delicious made only for those who reside in the heavens.  While teaching The Lightening Thief, I learned that for each God or demigod the flavor of ambrosia was personal. For Percy, the main character, it was the flavor of his mother’s homemade cookies.

No matter what ambrosia may be I know it’s not Greek Gods Greek Yogurt, because that stuff tastes like sour cream. I’ve read many different articles touting the benefits of Greek yogurt over regular yogurt. I read the label and saw for myself it only had 60 calories and 0 fat with 6 grams of protein. The label even read “Thick and creamy yogurt, full of body, and rich in taste.” HMM…Well, that is true enough if you like the flavor of sour cream.

Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing I love more than a dollop of daisy on my tacos, tamales or carnitas, but with bananas or blue berries.. I think not. I’m eating it for the sake of my health, but just so other consumers out there know. The ambrosial flavor of Greek yogurt is yet another classical myth.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...