Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Lemon Curd



I am more than ready for summer.  This past week I've been eating all the foods that remind me of summer, and what tastes more like sunshine than lemons?!

This weekend I made up a batch of lemon curd.  The silky texture and bright flavor was enough to convince me I needed to shave my legs and get ready for bikini season. Just kidding! Nobody who eats curd by the spoonful cares about prepping for swim season.

Speaking of preparing, there are only a few steps you need do to prepare this tantalizingly tart treat.




You may or may not use 3 lemons.  It worked out for me that my 3 lemons produced enough zest and juice for this recipe.  If you use less, no worries make lemonade.


Sugar! This little devil has quite the reputation, and if you are on a diet plan that keeps you from using processed refined sugar try it out with honey or agave.  *Check the Internet for amounts on the sweetener you decide to use.  Typically you would use less honey than sugar (2/3 to every 1 cup).


This recipe calls for unsalted butter; however, you can use salted. Just don't add the pinch of salt or add less of it.  What's less than a pinch?  Maybe a titch?


Separate the whites from the yolks, This recipe only calls for the yolks.  The whites can be whipped as a meringue to use for a topping if you decide to use your curd as a tart or pie.


After you have assembled all your ingredients, you'll need a heavy bottom pan over medium heat to make your curd. Start by melting together your butter, sugar, lemon juice, and zest.


If you are using unsalted butter, don't forget to add your pinch of salt. I almost did and you really do need just a little bit of salt in the recipe to round out the flavors.  NOT TOO MUCH!


Once the butter has melted down and the sugar has dissolved, slowly whisk in your egg yolks.  I stir constantly!! This is to keep me from getting distracted and leaving the mix too long or letting it burn on the bottom.  Once you add the egg it should thicken within 5-7 minutes. It's like a brand new puppy. You can't take your eyes off it.


 Don't let it boil. Once it has a pudding consistency, and it starts to slightly bubble you will want to pull it off.  This cooks up fast and if you let it go unattended you will have lemon crud not lemon curd.


Pull your thickened mix off the heat and strain into a fine mesh sieve.  This step separates the zest from the rest and is essential for a silky smooth finish.




You'll want to press the liquid through the strainer so that you are left with a pulpy lump in your sieve.



Discard pulp and allow your curd to cool  to room temperature.  While it is cooling, stir a few times so that the result is a smooth texture.  Once cool you can transfer to the refrigerator or use right away.

I used this curd as a filling for strawberry lemonade cake.  Feel free to share with me how you use yours.

Ingredients:
3 Lemons:

  • 3 Tablespoons zest (I give it a nice rough chop after zesting)
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice

4oz unsalted butter
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
6 Large egg yolks
Pinch of salt.



No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...