Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Chocolate Meringue Pie

Pie crust 
9 inch pie pan
Pre-bake crust and let cool.

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
Pinch of salt
4 eggs (use yolks only can reserve the whites for topping if you don't want to use whip cream)
3 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons butter
1tsp vanilla (can omit if you don't have any or substitute maple syrup)
3/4 cup of bitter chocolate chips (I use Ghirardelli)
  
In a heat proof dish put butter chocolate and vanilla...You'll add the hot custard later.

Sift sugar, corn starch and salt together into a medium saucepan pan.

Whisk milk and eggs together then add to sauce pan. Cook over medium-high (depending on your stove. I usually opt for the lower end so as not to burn the custard)

I stir almost constantly, as it goes from thin to pudding to scalded fast.  Should take 6-8 minutes depending on your stove, but as soon as it gets pudding thick and just starts to bubble remove from heat and add to the choco-vani-butter mix and stir until smooth and silky...so so silky.

Pour into pie pan.  Depending on the depth of your pan you may have a little left over.  Don't throw it out!!! Eat it or put it in a jar and save for later.

Make sure you lick the spoon and bowl before washing....it's called "pre-wash" ;)

I let the pie cool before I cover with cellophane wrap and place in refrigerator to chill for 2-3 hours until set.

Top with whip cream and serve, but don't tell my Mom! This is a mortal sin.. remember the egg whites?!  You should whip those up with some sugar until stiff peaks form then mound on top of your chilled and set pie, place under broiler (or use one of those super cool chef torches if you have one) until the top of the meringue is golden. 

 (My pops called meringue "calf slobber" feel free to impress your dinner guests with that little nugget).

I can NOT get my meringues to whip up correctly in our altitude so I've given in and use the cream...

Enjoy enjoy. We always had this pie at our family Thanksgiving, and after you have a taste you'll be thanking me :)


No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...