Monday, March 21, 2011

Ballad of the Northland by Jason Barron

Our school elementary is participating in a literacy campaign to promote reading in school children. This years theme: Iditaread

Readings and activities are centered around the Alaskan Iditarod, and later this month we will be honored with hosting a presentation by an Iditaread author, Jason Barron.

As a lover of books, I'm excited about the chance to meet an author. I just received a copy of Mr. Barron's book. As I sat here this morning preparing to read, I had an odd feeling of mixed emotions: excitement and concern.

"Wow, this man will actually be here. Someone who has published, someone who has had the mental fortitude to do what I aspire to do." Then, I thought "What if I don't like his book." It is only as I sit here now that I realize it doesn't matter if I like the book. Right, isn't that what a lit teacher tells her students? There is value in literature whether you "like" the story or not.

I was preparing to passively read this book, and what a disservice that would be to me, my students, and the author. I'm putting on my literary analysis pants and getting to work.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...