Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Pork Pozole

MMMMM.  I love pozole.  Before going to San Miguel this summer, I had never had pozole.  I was forced to eat hominy, what we called indian corn, by my sitter once when I was a kid; therefore, I was traumatized and stayed away from it.  In SMA I met Javier and Thelma.  Javier was a big pozole fan.  I think he ate it almost everyday.  His enthusiasm for the Spanish soup won me over and I tried a steaming bowl of chicken pozole.  It was wonderful.  The broth was made of clear chicken stock, with tender chicken shreds, onion, hominy, and some spices.  In Mexico they bring out a tray of fixin's: Fresh chopped cilantro, onion, jalapeno, crushed cumino, fried pork skins, avocado and lime wedges.  I think adding the lime to the dish was what really woke me up to this soup. Oh that, and the crunchy crunch of the crispy pork skins ( I remember sharing those with my dad on road trips when we were little).  Who can resist fresh cilantro?  The smell will always and forever remind me of summer, Right B?

Any way,  I've tried a few times to make pozole since my Mexican hiatus.  Last night's batch I think was the best.  I used pork instead of chicken.  I also used canned hominy.  I'm not going to attempt the process of taking corn and turning it into hominy.  Too many steps, it seems intimidating.  Kevin loved it.  If your feeling froggy try it out.  Make it your own, leave off the hominy if you don't like it, add more spice, use turkey.  For my vegetarian friend leave out the meat, substitute vegetable stock and add lots of aguagate.

In a slow cooker place pork loin (2lbs) 1 large diced onion, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 serrano pepper, 1 tbs dried oregano,1 tsp cumino, 1 can rotel with green chili's, 1 large can hominy, 1/2tsp chili powder, 32oz each chicken and beef stock, cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 7.  Shred pork with fork once cooked.  Ladle into bowls and don't forget the fresh toppings.

I'm having this for lunch today and dinner again tonight.  Join me, and let me know how your's turns out.  Buen provecho, bon appetit, eten smakelijlik.

No comments:

Meringue Cookies

I finally made beautiful vanilla meringue cookies.  It has taken me several attempts to get these to turn out looking and tasting great. ...